Subject: bug#40992: closed (Re: bug#40992: 27.0.90; Evaluating a function while using edebug breaks)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 12:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40992: 27.0.90; Evaluating a function while using edebug breaks

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40992: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40992
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40992: 27.0.90; Evaluating a function while using edebug breaks
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 12:13:31 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Bug fixed in the emacs-27 branch by reverting commit

commit e8b3a15cb6ff187ce08afcb43bd9a0b7907268ca
Author: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sun Oct 20 12:07:42 2019 +0200

    Mark breakpoints in edebug with highlights

    * lisp/emacs-lisp/edebug.el (edebug--overlay-breakpoints)
    (edebug--overlay-breakpoints-remove): New functions (bug#23468).
    (edebug-modify-breakpoint): Use them to highlight breakpoints.
    (edebug--display-1): Restore breakpoint highlights.
    (edebug--recursive-edit): Remove highlights on exit.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Subject: 27.0.90; Evaluating a function while using edebug breaks
From: Phillip Lord <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 09:26:44 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Edebug fails while tracing a function, if that function is evaluated
during the edebug session. The error reported is:

Wrong type argument: listp, #<marker at 4045 in hanoi.el>
edebug--display-1: Wrong type argument: listp, #<marker at 4045 in hanoi.el>

This is a regression as it works in Emacs-26, but fails in Emacs-27.

Reproduction:

In clean emacs -q

M-x hanoi
jump to hanoi function
C-u C-M-x
M-x hanoi

After stepping through into hanoi with point still in

C-M-x

and step once more.

I use this workflow quite a lot when debugging. I may start to debug a
function, decided I have seen enough, to un-instrument so I don't see it
debugged again.