Subject: bug#40992: 27.0.90; Evaluating a function while using edebug breaks

From: Phillip Lord <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 22:54:52 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 23:05:32 -0400
>> Cc: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>>  Phillip Lord <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> > I think that sounds like a good solution on master, but the patch that
>> > introduced this should probably be reverted on emacs-27 -- it wasn't a
>> > bug fix, but a new feature, so reverting it should be safe, I think.
>> 
>> I don't understand; the fix looks trivial to me (leaving out
>> indentation), and only touches a new function.  Surely this is okay for
>> emacs-27?
>
> If this fixes the problem, it's okay for emacs-27.  But then why did
> Alan say there was no easy solution?

I guess it's because the edebug should really still be using the overlay
information for the function it is still stepping through.

When I do this, it's because I do not want the function instrumented any
more; I'd probably be just as happy if edebug dropped out at this point
(i.e. stopped stepping through and continued). That I can step through a
function definition that is no longer instrumented is not really a
feature for me.

Not having it error, clearly, is a feature!

Thanks all for looking at this.

Phil