Subject: Re: bug#40990: Improve message-mode and isearch icons

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 05:35:02 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 04:42:32 +0300
> 
> > The only way to speed up our releases that I see is to care less about
> > stability and regressions.  If you are following the bug list closely,
> > you will see that we just recently started to get reports about
> > significant regressions in Emacs 27 (and some in Emacs 26).  Should we
> > disregard them?  We never did that, not since Emacs 25, at least.
> 
> I don't know what's the best course of action in each case, but if we 
> did make a point of releasing more often (e.g. did time-based releases, 
> for instance), Emacs 27.1 would probably have been less stable. But it 
> would have been released maybe a year ago, and by now we'd already have 
> released, say, 27.2 and 27.3, with more regressions fixed and faster 
> because of exposure to a wider audience, more testing.
> 
> It's a tricky road, but a possible one.

You are just listing the advantages of releasing frequently.  No one
will argue with that, the problem is how to make that happen without
hurting stability.