Subject: bug#40990: closed (Re: bug#40990: Improve message-mode and isearch icons)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 01:43:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40990: Improve message-mode and isearch icons

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40990: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40990
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40990: Improve message-mode and isearch icons
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 04:42:32 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Now fixed on master. Closing.

On 02.05.2020 09:23, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Anyway, for all I know, we could release 27 tomorrow. As soon as we deal
>> with the "modify literal objects" documentation discussion.
> 
> There's always "that one last" issue to be fixed.
> 
> The only way to speed up our releases that I see is to care less about
> stability and regressions.  If you are following the bug list closely,
> you will see that we just recently started to get reports about
> significant regressions in Emacs 27 (and some in Emacs 26).  Should we
> disregard them?  We never did that, not since Emacs 25, at least.

I don't know what's the best course of action in each case, but if we 
did make a point of releasing more often (e.g. did time-based releases, 
for instance), Emacs 27.1 would probably have been less stable. But it 
would have been released maybe a year ago, and by now we'd already have 
released, say, 27.2 and 27.3, with more regressions fixed and faster 
because of exposure to a wider audience, more testing.

It's a tricky road, but a possible one.

Subject: Improve message-mode and isearch icons
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 02:50:04 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

As discussed previously in the "Why is emacs so square?" thread, here's
a couple of patches that improve the toolbar icons in GTK builds.

Attached are several screenshots from my machine: isearch toolbar with
the x-gtk-stock-map patch and without (the difference is one icon), and
message-mode toolbar without the patch, with the patch, and also with
the extra patch that makes message-tool-bar-retro use the standrd
"mail/send" icon instead of the Gnus-specific one. Fixing Emacs not to
use message-tool-bar-retro is left as a future exercise.

I'd like to present a few arguments for the inclusion of the
x-gtk-stock-map patch in Emacs 27 (on which the current answer is no,
but I'll try to elaborate):

1. With it, the answer to the question "why does everybody tell the new
users to turn off toolbars" becomes less obvious, at least in GTK based
environments.

2. This only affects GTK. And also, if a theme doesn't contain the "new"
replacement image, the previous one will be shown instead.

3. Since "everybody" turns off the toolbars now, the risk of complaints
is pretty low. By the same token, we could de-prioritize said complaints
even if they appear, given that for most people the improvement is most
likely obvious (feedback welcome).

The second patch is a tiny bit more risky, but honestly, since it uses
an icon apparently borrowed from some old GTK-related icon set, using a
new version of the same icon shouldn't bother most people. But this
patch *can* affect users on different toolkits and different platforms
(again, feedback welcome).
diff --git a/lisp/gnus/message.el b/lisp/gnus/message.el
index adefa0efd6..62cbc754bd 100644
--- a/lisp/gnus/message.el
+++ b/lisp/gnus/message.el
@@ -7983,7 +7983,7 @@ message-tool-bar-gnome
 
 (defcustom message-tool-bar-retro
   '(;; Old Emacs 21 icon for consistency.
-    (message-send-and-exit "gnus/mail-send")
+    (message-send-and-exit "mail/send")
     (message-kill-buffer "close")
     (message-dont-send "cancel")
     (mml-attach-file "attach" mml-mode-map)
diff --git a/lisp/term/x-win.el b/lisp/term/x-win.el
index 5b8feb14a5..d7bc64fa52 100644
--- a/lisp/term/x-win.el
+++ b/lisp/term/x-win.el
@@ -1407,13 +1407,13 @@ x-gtk-stock-map
     ("etc/images/right-arrow" . ("go-next" "gtk-go-forward"))
     ("etc/images/home" . ("go-home" "gtk-home"))
     ("etc/images/jump-to" . ("go-jump" "gtk-jump-to"))
-    ("etc/images/index" . "gtk-index")
+    ("etc/images/index" . ("gtk-search" "gtk-index"))
     ("etc/images/exit" . ("application-exit" "gtk-quit"))
     ("etc/images/cancel" . "gtk-cancel")
     ("etc/images/info" . ("dialog-information" "gtk-info"))
     ("etc/images/bookmark_add" . "n:bookmark_add")
     ;; Used in Gnus and/or MH-E:
-    ("etc/images/attach" . "gtk-attach")
+    ("etc/images/attach" . ("mail-attachment" "gtk-attach"))
     ("etc/images/connect" . "gtk-connect")
     ("etc/images/contact" . "gtk-contact")
     ("etc/images/delete" . ("edit-delete" "gtk-delete"))
@@ -1425,12 +1425,14 @@ x-gtk-stock-map
     ("etc/images/lock" . "gtk-lock")
     ("etc/images/next-page" . "gtk-next-page")
     ("etc/images/refresh" . ("view-refresh" "gtk-refresh"))
+    ("etc/images/search-replace" . "edit-find-replace")
     ("etc/images/sort-ascending" . ("view-sort-ascending" "gtk-sort-ascending"))
     ("etc/images/sort-column-ascending" . "gtk-sort-column-ascending")
     ("etc/images/sort-criteria" . "gtk-sort-criteria")
     ("etc/images/sort-descending" . ("view-sort-descending"
 				     "gtk-sort-descending"))
     ("etc/images/sort-row-ascending" . "gtk-sort-row-ascending")
+    ("etc/images/spell" . ("tools-check-spelling" "gtk-spell-check"))
     ("images/gnus/toggle-subscription" . "gtk-task-recurring")
     ("images/mail/compose" . "gtk-mail-compose")
     ("images/mail/copy" . "gtk-mail-copy")
@@ -1442,7 +1444,7 @@ x-gtk-stock-map
     ("images/mail/reply-all" . "gtk-mail-reply-to-all")
     ("images/mail/reply" . "gtk-mail-reply")
     ("images/mail/save-draft" . "gtk-mail-handling")
-    ("images/mail/send" . "gtk-mail-send")
+    ("images/mail/send" . ("mail-send" "gtk-mail-send"))
     ("images/mail/spam" . "gtk-spam")
     ;; Used for GDB Graphical Interface
     ("images/gud/break" . "gtk-no")