Subject: Re: bug#40990: Improve message-mode and isearch icons

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 09:23:38 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 01:12:38 +0300
> 
> > You do, but I'm asking to help me more.  We should have released 27.1
> > a year ago.
> 
> I really hope that none of my late patches were ever the reason for the 
> delay.

Not you alone.  It's a long series of small changes, each one of them
considered "important".  Together they add up.  And then COVID-19
added its toll.

> And not just my proposals. We're pretty conservative about it. Which is 
> a good thing, of course, but it indicates that we could be moving 
> faster, even if just a bit (be it in allowing more last-minute fixes, or 
> more feature backports, or doing shorter pretests, or starting pretests 
> faster, or all of that together).
> 
> >> Anyway, such discussions should become rare if we somehow manage to
> >> speed up the release cycle someday.
> > Such a someone will be very welcome, indeed.
> 
> Someone?

Someone, somehow, you name it.

> Anyway, for all I know, we could release 27 tomorrow. As soon as we deal 
> with the "modify literal objects" documentation discussion.

There's always "that one last" issue to be fixed.

The only way to speed up our releases that I see is to care less about
stability and regressions.  If you are following the bug list closely,
you will see that we just recently started to get reports about
significant regressions in Emacs 27 (and some in Emacs 26).  Should we
disregard them?  We never did that, not since Emacs 25, at least.