Subject: bug#40990: Improve message-mode and isearch icons

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 01:12:38 +0300

On 01.05.2020 18:43, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> We had this UI since v23, I think.  I don't think anything bad will
> happen if we have it for another year or 2.  And of course people who
> track the master branch will have it immediately.

People who track master are not the audience I was thinking of, though. 
But okay, let's target Emacs 28 to be the "new UI polish" release.

It would be nice to backport these patches to 27.2 if/when if comes out, 
though.

> You do, but I'm asking to help me more.  We should have released 27.1
> a year ago.

I really hope that none of my late patches were ever the reason for the 
delay.

Come to think of it, I don't recall any of my proposals like that to 
cause a release-delaying regression later, in the last... many years.

And not just my proposals. We're pretty conservative about it. Which is 
a good thing, of course, but it indicates that we could be moving 
faster, even if just a bit (be it in allowing more last-minute fixes, or 
more feature backports, or doing shorter pretests, or starting pretests 
faster, or all of that together).

>> Anyway, such discussions should become rare if we somehow manage to
>> speed up the release cycle someday.
> Such a someone will be very welcome, indeed.

Someone?

Anyway, for all I know, we could release 27 tomorrow. As soon as we deal 
with the "modify literal objects" documentation discussion.