Subject: bug#40988: closed (Re: bug#40988: 26.3; keyboard macro with input-method inserts characters twice)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 04:10:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40988: 26.3; keyboard macro with input-method inserts characters twice

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40988: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40988
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40988: 26.3; keyboard macro with input-method inserts characters twice
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: "Matsievskiy S.V." <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 07:09:08 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: "Matsievskiy S.V." <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 22:38:25 +0300
> 
> When I define keyboard macro with some input method enabled (lets say,
> `english-dvorak`), `self-insert` commands are repeated twice.
> 
> For example, if I define macro like this:
> `F3 insert chars asdf F4` and then hit `F4`, I will get the following
> line:
> ```
> insert chars asdf
> ```
> 
> But if I'll use some input method:
> `F3 insert chars C-\ asdf F4`, I will get:
> ```
> insert chars aaooeeuu
> ```
> 
> Characters that were typed with `english-dvorak` input method enabled
> are repeated twice when macro is called. This happens with all input
> methods.

Thanks, this is already fixed in what will become Emacs 27.

Subject: 26.3; keyboard macro with input-method inserts characters twice
From: "Matsievskiy S.V." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 22:38:25 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I define keyboard macro with some input method enabled (lets say,
`english-dvorak`), `self-insert` commands are repeated twice.

For example, if I define macro like this:
`F3 insert chars asdf F4` and then hit `F4`, I will get the following
line:
```
insert chars asdf
```

But if I'll use some input method:
`F3 insert chars C-\ asdf F4`, I will get:
```
insert chars aaooeeuu
```

Characters that were typed with `english-dvorak` input method enabled
are repeated twice when macro is called. This happens with all input
methods.

I've asked this question on stackoverflow
(
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/58131/keyboard-macro-with-input-method-inserts-characters-twice
)
and was advised to report this as a bug.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.11)
 of 2019-09-22, modified by Debian built on x86-csail-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.12008000
System Description:     Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Defining kbd macro...
Keyboard macro defined
Loading quail/cyrillic...done
Defining kbd macro...
Keyboard macro defined
next-line: End of buffer

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-
lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-
lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-
lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-
lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-n8pPyG/emacs-26.3+1=. -fstack-
protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start cus-load quail help-mode
easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib kmacro elec-pair time-date mule-util
tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-
mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-
readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 109025 7073)
 (symbols 48 21679 1)
 (miscs 40 52 129)
 (strings 32 32258 1315)
 (string-bytes 1 804730)
 (vectors 16 15791)
 (vector-slots 8 510110 6240)
 (floats 8 52 106)
 (intervals 56 270 0)
 (buffers 992 12))