Subject: [bug#40959] [PATCH 0/1] WIP: Add icedove.

From: Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:56:14 +0200

Hi fellow guix hackers,

in the last couple of days I worked on this icedove patch. It is based
on earlier patches from Adrian and ng0 dating back until 2017 :)

Before getting to exited: there is still a lot to do before merging into
master!

Big missing stuff
=================
* Addons are still enabled and linked to addons.thunderbird.net. This is
  a problem with the FSDG though I've not used a non-free Addon or even
  saw one in the addon store. Any help how to disable it is welcome.
* Localization: It doesn't have localization support like Icecat. I
  guess we just need to port it to Icedove.

Smaller stuff
=============
* The binary should also called icedove not thunderbird.
* In the UI it's called "Thunderbird Daily" this should become Icedove.
* Adrian needs to sign-off as he worked on this patch under GNU AGPL3.
* Do more unbundling. But that is also missing in Icecat.
* We may need some more build phases from Icecat, but at the moment I
  want to keep the package as simple as possible. Only acting on real
  bugs or issues.

I'm running Icedove now for a couple of days on my laptop. It's working
great. I didn't test installing with a new/empty thunderbird profile.
There are maybe some unknown issues. It builds reproducible and `guix
size` is about 1.1GiB so comparable to Icecat :)

I really hope that we can get Icedove into master. It's current number
one at Guix package wishlist (+6).

So any feedback welcome!

Jonathan Brielmaier (1):
  gnu: Add icedove.

 gnu/local.mk             |   1 +
 gnu/packages/icedove.scm | 322 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 2 files changed, 323 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/icedove.scm

--
2.26.1