Subject: bug#40945: [bug #40945] Rottlog service should create filenames with a '.gz' extension

From: Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 07:43:52 +0000

Hello Leo,

In /etc/rottlog/rc the line “extension="gz"” has for only effect to 
expand
the meta-variable “@COMP_EXT”[0] which isn't used by default. For it to 
be
appended to every rotated log file we need to add the line “storefile
@FILENAME.@COMP_EXT” to /etc/rottlog/weekly, which specify the filename 
for
the rotated log file[1][2]. At least that's what I understand after
skimming through the documentation, I have send a patch[3] but it's
untested.

[0]: 
https://www.gnu.org/software/rottlog/manual/rottlog.html#Mandatory-RC-Variables
[1]: 
https://www.gnu.org/software/rottlog/manual/rottlog.html#Use-of-meta_002dvariables
[2]: 
https://www.gnu.org/software/rottlog/manual/rottlog.html#Configuration-parameters
[3]: https://issues.guix.info/issue/40953

Cheers,
- Brice