Subject: bug#40945: closed ()

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 09:20:03 +0000

Your bug report

#40945: Rottlog service should create filenames with a '.gz' extension

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40945: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40945
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

From: Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 09:19:36 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Fixed by ab034adfe86333fccd6afe476806f169e2074d69.

Subject: Rottlog service should create filenames with a '.gz' extension
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 13:36:53 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Currently, the rottlog service in %base-services creates old rotated
logs that are named like "messages.1", "messages.2", etc.

However, these files are compressed with gzip, and gzip refuses to
decompress them until you add '.gz' to the end of the filenames.

I think this should be happening by default but for some reason is
not. rottlog-configuration uses as the default configuration
(file-append rottlog "/etc/rc"), and that file does call for this
extension to be added...