Subject: Re: bug#40940: 27.0.91; project-query-replace-regexp stops too early

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 18:22:06 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Tramp checks for all remote hosts whether they can expand "~/" (or
>> "~user/" in general). If possible, it does.
>>
>> Your patch uses `expand-file-name', and that's all what we have to say
>> to Tramp.
>
> My patch only calls expand-file-name on local file names.  For remote
> file names, I've left the result of the call to file-remote-p
> unaltered.  Would that be a problem if the file name, after stripping
> the remote protocol parts, started with "~/" ?  And if so, what should
> be done here about these cases?

Call `expand-file-name' on the remote file name, like
'(expand-file-name "/ssh:user@host:~/")'. Tramp expands it to
"/ssh:user@host:/home/user/", in case the "/home/user" is the home
directory of "user" on "host".

Best regards, Michael.