Subject: Re: bug#40940: 27.0.91; project-query-replace-regexp stops too early

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 17:49:46 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> AFAICT the patch doesn't fix the same problem for remote hosts, is that
>> a problem?
>
> No, I don't think so.  A remote host cannot be a non-Posix system,
> AFAIK.

A remote host can be (kind of) non-Posix, for example not expanding
"~/". But this is a general problem then accessing such a host, and one
shall avoid to use a remote file name containing the tilde.

> Michael, can you confirm?  (And in any case, this issue should
> be handled in the file-remote-p handler.)

Tramp checks for all remote hosts whether they can expand "~/" (or
"~user/" in general). If possible, it does.

Your patch uses `expand-file-name', and that's all what we have to say
to Tramp.

Best regards, Michael.