Subject: bug#36075: closed (Re: bug#40930: AUCTeX fontification messed up)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 21:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40930: 2019-05-21; Font locking slow and unreliable

which was filed against the auctex package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40930: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40930
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40930: AUCTeX fontification messed up
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 23:12:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Gennady,

> I have been using the new version quite intensely since several days
> on a paper that used to get messed up.
>
> Everything seems to work very well.

That's very good news!

> Thank you so much!

You are welcome.  I'm closing this bug report then.

Thanks,
Tassilo

Subject: 2019-05-21; Font locking slow and unreliable
From: Gennady Uraltsev <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 14:24:03 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear everyone,

When working with non-trivial length tex files (500 lines?) font locking
in AucTeX stops working reliably. Often changing a single character
inside math (e.g.  $ 1|+1=12 $  to $11|+1=12$ ) makes all the text in
the window become fontified as math text (in my case, color
blue). Sometimes AucTeX recovers after several seconds and sometimes it
fails to recover and I have to issue TeX-normal-mode. Since this is
recurrent it gets quickly annoying. On the other hand I do not know how
to debug this because this depends a lot on the file. Just changing it a
bit sometimes makes the problem disappear. Could anyone suggest an
approach to debugging this so I can submit a more meaningful bug report
about AucTeX font lock?

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.8)
 of 2019-04-12
Package: 2019-05-21

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2019-05-21"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("/usr/local/var/auctex"
"/home/guraltsev/.emacs.d/straight/build/auctex/auctex/style"
"/home/guraltsev/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
		  "/home/guraltsev/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save t
 TeX-parse-self t
 TeX-master "../main"
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX" "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error)
%`%(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help "Run plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil (latex-mode
doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %t" TeX-run-compile nil
(texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) --html %t" TeX-run-compile
nil (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
		    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %t"
TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts)
%(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil (plain-tex-mode
latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode context-mode) :help
		     "Run BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %s" TeX-run-Biber nil (plain-tex-mode latex-mode
doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help "Run Biber")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help "Run Viewer")
("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View the printer
queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t (plain-tex-mode
latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil (plain-tex-mode
latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
		    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil (plain-tex-mode
latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
		    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil (plain-tex-mode
latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
		    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %s" TeX-run-command nil
(plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run makeglossaries to create glossary\n     file")
		    ("Index" "makeindex %s" TeX-run-index nil (plain-tex-mode
latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run makeindex to create index file")
		    ("upMendex" "upmendex %s" TeX-run-index t (plain-tex-mode
latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run upmendex to create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil (plain-tex-mode
latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode) :help
"Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode) :help
"Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil t :help
"Spell-check the document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help "Delete
generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help "Delete
generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an arbitrary command"))
 )