Subject: bug#40919: closed (Re: bug#40919: 27.0.91; next-error-select-buffer does not always behave as documented)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 19:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40919: 27.0.91; next-error-select-buffer does not always behave as documented

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40919: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40919
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40919: 27.0.91; next-error-select-buffer does not always behave as documented
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 22:18:06 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 27.1

Aand pushed.

Trevor, you can now try different values of 
next-error-find-buffer-function (in particular, #'ignore) and see which 
behaves more to your liking.

Thanks all, closing.

Subject: 27.0.91; next-error-select-buffer does not always behave as documented
From: Trevor Spiteri <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 03:51:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The next-error-select-buffer documentation states that “the selected
buffer becomes the source of locations for the subsequent invocation of
‘next-error’ or ‘previous-error’.” However, it is not the case for the
following:

1. Go in a fresh next-error capable buffer (not *grep*).
2. Grep for something.
3. M-x next-error-select-buffer *grep*
4. M-x next-error

The buffer of 1 (not *grep*) is the source of locations instead of
the expected *grep*.

This is because although next-error-select-buffer sets the variable
next-error-last-buffer, it is not used in this case: When next-error
calls next-error-find-buffer, next-error-buffer has no buffer-local
value yet, so condition 2. in next-error-find-buffer (that
next-error-buffer has no buffer-local value and the current buffer is a
next-error capable buffer) is true, and the function never even checks
next-error-last-buffer.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.13, cairo version 1.16.0)
of 2020-04-23 built on desktop
Repository revision: ba6104d1e8db4e8db2f12acaebf092ef579c6632
Repository branch: emacs-27