Subject: [bug#40918] [PATCH] openjdk 14 package

From: Björn Höfling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 23:01:55 +0200

Hi Michael,

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 09:17:22 +0930
Michael Zucchi <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Please update your commit message according to the Changelog-style.
> > You will find examples in the old commit logs, for example for how
> > to add the patch-file.

> I'm sorry i don't understand your second point, i used emacs
> changelog mode to create the commit message.

Let me try to explain that in more details. Guix is the pickiest
project I came along when it comes to commit messages. It took me a
while to get used to it. So please this shouldn't be a show-stopper for
you :-) In the end, a commiter can/will correct it.

Your git log consists of only one line:

* gnu/packages/java.scm (openjdk13, opnejdk14) * gnu/packages/patches/openjdk-14-builtins.patch: Added openjdk 13 and 14.

I would have expected something like:

----BEGIN EXAMPLE---
gnu: Add openjdk14.

* gnu/packages/java.scm (openjdk14): New variable.
* gnu/packages/patches/openjdk...patch: New file.
* gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Add it.
----END EXAMPLE---

So you really document every file you add, every variable/location
where you change something.

It is somewhat explained here, but at best look through older commits:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html#Submitting-Patches
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html#Change-Logs

Hope this explains it better,

Björn