Subject: bug#40916: [PATCH] Add "p" and "n" convenience bindings to help-mode-map

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 19:33:27 +0200

Hi Amin,

Amin Bandali <[email-masked]> writes:

> The following binds "p" to backward-button, and "n" to forward-button in
> help-mode-map for more conveniently jumping between buttons in *Help*
> buffers.  I have found myself constantly reaching for these in *Help*
> buffers after using helpful [0] for a while.

Thanks, I like the idea.  I tried it, and it seems useful.

But I have one concern.  Is there anything else we could use those
keys for?  For example, what about navigating sections in the file, or
even (next|previous)-line?

Let's say we introduce a "foldable" help buffer, such that minor mode
documentation would be collapsed by default.  (Sorry, I can't find the
feature request now, but it's in the bug tracker somewhere.)

Will this key binding still be the one we want?

> The patch is against emacs-27, since it's a trivial and hopefully
> completely harmless change.

I think we should do this on master to let people test the change and
get used to it.  Maybe we will want to change it before release.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas