Subject: Re: bug#40915: [PATCH] Make leaving Info-summary more intuitive

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 10:09:00 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 00:28:31 +0200
> 
> There's a small issue with the Info-summary command:
> 
> 0. emacs -Q
> 1. C-h i
> 2. ?
> 3. q
> 
> Result: Now in *scratch* buffer
> Expected: Should end up in *info* buffer

I'm not sure I understand the expected result.  The help buffer
displayed when you press '?' says:

  q	Quit Info: reselect previously selected buffer.

So it seems Info behaves as documented?  The way to exit the help
screen and return to the Info manual is by repeatedly pressing SPC
until you wind up in the original Info buffer.

> The attached patch should fix it by not pushing the character ('q' in
> this case) onto 'unread-command-events' before burying the help
> buffer.

I could understand that we'd like to have a single key to quit the
help screen, perhaps even when 'q' is pressed (which would be a change
in behavior), but even then it is IMO wrong to completely remove the
pushing onto unread-command-events, because this command is set such
that you could read about a key and execute it while still in the help
screen.  IOW, the fact that the key you pres is generally executed
after exiting the help screen is an important feature: it avoids the
need to remember the key you found in *Help* and retype it after you
are back in the Info buffer.

Thanks.