Subject: Re: bug#40909: eww: Add max width option similar to Man-width-max

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 09:37:53 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Not in my use, at least, it doesn't mean that.  I configure everything
> to be 80 columns wide, if at all possible.  Long lines are very
> annoying, arguably probably even more so in my use-case than in
> others.

Yeah, that's the usage pattern I'd expect -- you have a window that is
the width you're most comfortable with, and then shr renders using that
width, surely?

If shr uses a width wider than the window in this scenario, that's a bug
in shr.

The problem with defaulting shr-width to anything in particular is that
the rendering will be wonky if you then have a window that's narrower
than that.

I think introducing a new variable, shr-max-width, might perhaps be
nice?  That is, no matter how wide a window you have, nobody probably
wants to read HTML formatted wider than that.  

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no