Subject: bug#4089: 23.1.50; Emacs Manual Node Persistency Issues

From: "Xah Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 16:56:47 -0700

some issues with emacs manual persistency.

Info Node Persistency

... In emacs 22, there's this node:

(info "(emacs)Transient Mark")

but it does not exit in emacs 23's manual.

Shouldn't the manual nodes be persistant across versions, e.g. providing 
redirect when node changed?

As a pratical matter, this means now i have to search my emacs publications 
to fix the nodes. A task that's not particularly trivial. This applies to 
any publication on emacs that reference to the manual by node.

This is a problem with Python's documentation too. thinking about this, 
actually i don't know if there are any manual that:

    * (1) Provide a computable reference to the chapter/sections.
    * (2) Maintain this on different versions of the manual.

However, since emacs does (1) already, it's easy to do (2) too.

------------------

GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6002) of 2009-06-30 on LENNART-69DE564 
(patched)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄