Subject: bug#40888: M-x man: don't redraw good pages when not finding bad pages

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 13:28:19 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

>> >>>>> "TN" == Tomas Nordin <[email-masked]> writes:
>> TN> under the super heading * Lisp Changes in Emacs 26.1.
>> Well all I know is with 26.3,
>> emacs or emacs -nw,
>> I still see a blink (the whole cat man page redrawn) when I do M-x man dog.
>
> I can reproduce this here.

Me too...  but I don't think there's a redrawing of the cat page,
really.

What seems to be happening is that M-x man RET dog RET pops up a "*Man
dog*" buffer in a window, and then starts working in the background.

And then it can't find the dog man page, and then kills the buffer (and
window).

This makes everything redisplay, which is the blink we're seeing.

I'm not sure whether anything can be done about this -- it's an artefact
of working asynchronously, and then restoring window configurations.

Anybody got any ideas?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no