Subject: bug#40867: closed (Re: bug#40867: guix build --rounds=N is miss advising)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 21:00:03 +0000

Your bug report

#40867: guix build --rounds=N is miss advising

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40867: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40867
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40867: guix build --rounds=N is miss advising
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 16:59:45 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]> writes:

> The help section for `guix build --rounds=N` in 7.1.1 Common Build
> Options is miss advising.
>
> ```
> Note that, currently, the differing build results are not kept
> around, so you will have to manually investigate in case of an
> error—e.g., by stashing one of the build results with ‘guix archive
> --export’ (*note Invoking guix archive::), then rebuilding, and finally
> comparing the two results.
> ```
>
> Should rather endorse `guix build --rounds=N --keep-failed` as this
> option preservers all differing builds, not only one. This option was
> proposed by Marius Bakke in IRC.

Fixed with commit 5918cb5341; closing.

Thanks for the report!

Maxim

Subject: guix build --rounds=N is miss advising
From: Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 14:30:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The help section for `guix build --rounds=N` in 7.1.1 Common Build
Options is miss advising.

```
Note that, currently, the differing build results are not kept
around, so you will have to manually investigate in case of an
error—e.g., by stashing one of the build results with ‘guix archive
--export’ (*note Invoking guix archive::), then rebuilding, and finally
comparing the two results.
```

Should rather endorse `guix build --rounds=N --keep-failed` as this
option preservers all differing builds, not only one. This option was
proposed by Marius Bakke in IRC.