Subject: Re: bug#40863: [PATCH] Improve the display-time-world UI

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 17:03:10 +0200

Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> If an application expects a particular name, then it's already broken
>>> because the user can change the defcustom at any time, right?  And if a
>>> user expects the old name, they can customize it back to the old value.
>>
>> So you are saying that we should change these names from time to time
>> just to make a point?
>
> No, I think changing the name here makes it more readable (i.e., it's
> not a random change, it's an improvement).  And I think this benefit
> outweighs the possible existence of broken applications, or users
> possibly preferring the current value

I think Noam presents a compelling argument here.

It might be somewhat minor, and it might to some degree be a matter of
preference.  But even minor improvements can add up and contribute to
the overall user experience.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas