Subject: bug#40863: [PATCH] Improve the display-time-world UI

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 15:00:37 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 13:20:40 -0400
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> >> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
>> >> Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 10:56:03 +0200
>> >> 
>> >> -(defcustom display-time-world-buffer-name "*wclock*"
>> >> +(defcustom display-time-world-buffer-name "*World Clock*"
>> >
>> > Is this part really necessary? what if some application or user out
>> > there expects the old name?
>> 
>> If an application expects a particular name, then it's already broken
>> because the user can change the defcustom at any time, right?  And if a
>> user expects the old name, they can customize it back to the old value.
>
> So you are saying that we should change these names from time to time
> just to make a point?

No, I think changing the name here makes it more readable (i.e., it's
not a random change, it's an improvement).  And I think this benefit
outweighs the possible existence of broken applications, or users
possibly preferring the current value (I will admit this weighting also
somewhat depends on the probability of these hypotheticals actually
turning out to be real, which I've no real basis for; you might judge
them to be more likely than I do).