Subject: bug#4084: 23.1;boxquote uses ugly ASCII "drawing" characters rather than Unicode

From: "'Roger Leigh'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 16:37:03 +0100

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 08:24:29AM -0700, Drew Adams wrote:
> > Much nicer!  It would be great if these could be made the default in
> > place of the ugly ASCII.
> 
> Sure doesn't look nicer to me! See attachment.
> 
> Boxquote should not use Unicode characters unless the buffer is already Unicode
> encoded. Even then, I'm not convinced the Unicode version looks better.

I think your font is to blame here; perhaps it's using a fallback as
the corners, and as a result they don't line up correctly.  Even so,
IMO this looks (subjectively) better than ASCII.  I agree that
using Unicode characters in a non-Unicode buffer would be wrong;
boxquote should use a fallback in that case (can Emacs do
transliteration for non-representable characters when you insert
characters not represented in the buffer encoding)?

Anyhow, I'll pass this along to the author, since it's not part of
Emacs itself.

Regards,
Roger

-- 
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux             http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/
 `. `'   Printing on GNU/Linux?       http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please GPG sign your mail.