Subject: bug#40839: closed (Re: bug#40839: Shepherd activation .GO files are not cross-compiled ... and the Hurd)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 13:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40839: Shepherd activation .GO files are not cross-compiled ... and the Hurd

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40839: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40839
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40839: Shepherd activation .GO files are not cross-compiled ... and the Hurd
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 15:15:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Pushed to core-updates as d2fc76462e72268ee5b04fe53805efc05c35e139,

Closing!

Ludo’.

Subject: Shepherd activation .GO files are not cross-compiled ... and the Hurd
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 11:49:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

The wip-hurd-vm branch cross-builds a VM for the Hurd.  It uses some
dedicated hacks to build the system packages, services, system profile
and shepherd configuration and cross-build them into a qemu image.

We did this to avoid too much struggle up front with parameterizing,
working around, or removing Linux-specifics from "guix system
--target=i586-pc-gnu build,vm,..."

One problem that still remains is that the shepherd's activation .GO
files are not cross-compiled.  Currently, wip-hurd-vm works around that
by having the Shepherd load .SCM files instead of the (wrongly compiled)
.GO files.

After some discussion on IRC, I decided to find out if guix system build
--target=... might not have this bug.  That would make a great case to
start migrating some custom gnu/system/hurd.scm code to "guix system
--target=i586-pc-gnu ..."; we will have to do that some times soon
anyway.

guix system ..., however, shows has the same bug.  You can see that by
doing something like

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
10:31:10 janneke@dundal:~/src/guix/core-updates [env]
$ timeout 5 ./pre-inst-env guix system build --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf --no-bootloader --no-grafts --verbosity=1 gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl |& grep shepherd.*go.drv
   /gnu/store/08brf243p0zfkz2d5imsy2swy1pzhpvb-shepherd-networking.go.drv
   /gnu/store/0wyzan9dmv23i4bjv6vlrq9h0zfph6gx-shepherd-console-font-tty4.go.drv
   /gnu/store/0x2mscizw7bhv3da3njhr6h37jmisk7r-shepherd-console-font-tty1.go.drv
   /gnu/store/2r2rc2kp3wfvrlkz7gkhz06ggy0x3g9i-shepherd-term-tty1.go.drv
   /gnu/store/3845nr3gczx6pia83d796r56a89ihhwq-shepherd-term-auto.go.drv
   /gnu/store/3a7mivzyr5cx9kgkxl2g2flv6z9mnb16-shepherd-console-font-tty5.go.drv
   /gnu/store/5190cy2n0kcil0w1ln5f5z7rhnbp0m98-shepherd-file-system--dev-pts.go.drv
   /gnu/store/571pfgfi3q6ql0g1qadpm4ka06w1ckl1-shepherd-syslogd.go.drv
   /gnu/store/5j18jk5x33nkw4fdfdi4wwk03264sc1i-shepherd-nscd.go.drv
   /gnu/store/5kaacb0amw3k7avjj9xahbw50cchs4gc-shepherd-term-tty2.go.drv
   /gnu/store/67idmlz2b4dsbj4s9x2733q4d2vlhql5-shepherd-ssh-daemon-ssh-sshd.go.drv
   /gnu/store/6n8pmflgqpkdcs02876n9f0nd51iggh3-shepherd-term-tty5.go.drv
   /gnu/store/9zrvxc2ii85zczv6yiq0h6z8xbsr69ny-shepherd-term-tty4.go.drv
   /gnu/store/blfzip72s4zwg8rwbs5n5x4m0jamlxzi-shepherd-user-homes.go.drv
   /gnu/store/bwks8ydmfcc4ig47qriwz02ja86lrpkn-shepherd-console-font-tty2.go.drv
   /gnu/store/fgimk2w6zfd11fn1mk1kzab2wh4f548g-shepherd-term-tty3.go.drv
   /gnu/store/g6dy6yqgn5rn6p0vza964kjsrnxymm4r-shepherd-term-tty6.go.drv
   /gnu/store/hhmsgh0plqhb5448kdjjg6cl66l8fnqv-shepherd-file-system--dev-shm.go.drv
   /gnu/store/hhvs8400445b8gs7nfp8sya9c32k3h0q-shepherd-user-processes.go.drv
   /gnu/store/ihnl0bqhz0x88a393bbpxiq52rf0rd5w-shepherd-console-font-tty6.go.drv
   /gnu/store/ki7n8gg54mc9dbzw3i7drpzys2w15033-shepherd-guix-daemon.go.drv
   /gnu/store/nxnzrh2pbhnk2pxw8iggc28096p0vyqk-shepherd-root-file-system.go.drv
   /gnu/store/pw8p4ywnbamfz4ikr6zw9m4clszxakap-shepherd-console-font-tty3.go.drv
   /gnu/store/s3f030pywqps9fmdp0mnldyvmdkmm9d9-shepherd-file-systems.go.drv
   /gnu/store/vkafkq4qpnsijv7my0pw8qdg46ya206y-shepherd-user-file-systems.go.drv
   /gnu/store/vv25y5a8vga2syi716ph75x2xp0pjj7f-shepherd-mcron.go.drv
   /gnu/store/vxp0855svszgk8wix0mml2ahw48jdphx-shepherd-host-name.go.drv
   /gnu/store/x6s7b4il8a8lnwj8sshx786sq1l0mxsm-shepherd-loopback.go.drv
   /gnu/store/xnpg23wpxwyqjmh9vssp29kw2pwaq04x-shepherd-udev.go.drv
   /gnu/store/y5nv3pplsbf9i1mzpg5p0ry0qv1qxq7c-shepherd-file-system--gnu-store.go.drv
   /gnu/store/z0a48zsv23pgy5d89ywj1sm9nwxdrwbq-shepherd-urandom-seed.go.drv
   /gnu/store/znn7813x9p1zn6bdywciqm6yk1qm7r0q-shepherd-virtual-terminal.go.drv
Terminated
[143]10:31:15 janneke@dundal:~/src/guix/core-updates [env]
$ ./pre-inst-env guix build --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf --no-grafts --verbosity=1 /gnu/store/vxp0855svszgk8wix0mml2ahw48jdphx-shepherd-host-name.go.drv
...
/gnu/store/dbmj8ls2bwn0vbwi6qzng56rgrza3z0i-shepherd-host-name.go
$ 11:27:25 janneke@dundal:~/src/guix/core-updates [env]
$ file /gnu/store/dbmj8ls2bwn0vbwi6qzng56rgrza3z0i-shepherd-host-name.go
/gnu/store/dbmj8ls2bwn0vbwi6qzng56rgrza3z0i-shepherd-host-name.go: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object no machine, version 1 (embedded), dynamically linked, with debug_info, not stripped
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Greetings,
janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com