Subject: bug#40832: closed (Re: bug#40832: alsa-lib cannot find its plugins)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 20:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40832: alsa-lib cannot find its plugins

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40832: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40832
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40832: alsa-lib cannot find its plugins
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 15:51:07 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 12:02:59PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Upstream has implemented (but not yet released) a potential solution:
> 
> https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-lib/commit/8580c081c25678d11278efcb61bd15cf44d0a225
> 
> I haven't tested it yet but my understanding is that it supports
> specifying a single plugin directory via the ALSA_PLUGIN_DIR environment
> variable.

I'm very happy to report that this fix has been deployed for Guix users
in commit ed1c72c3d7d6b6d3b110817fcc037cd5582ac848

Subject: Audacity does not work with PulseAudio
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 17:37:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Since I can remember, Guix's Audacity doesn't work with PulseAudio on my
foreign distro (Debian).

Debian's Audacity does work correctly in this regard.

In practice, this means that I cannot play or record audio in Audacity
while any other application is using sound on the system. If I close or
stop those other applications, then Audacity is able to select the
'sysdefault' output sound device and can start working.

I found a few discussions about similar issues [0], and it seems that
Audacity needs alsa-plugins in order to make this work.

I tried installing Audacity along side alsa-plugins,
alsa-plugins:pulseaudio, and pulseaudio, as well as building with them
as dependencies, but it still didn't work.

[0] e.g. https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=89278