Subject: Re: bug#40827: 28.0.50; Macroexpansion at runtime

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 18:05:32 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> We could be more nuanced, indeed, since the "expanded once" can also
> happen for interpreted code (and the "expand many times" can also happen
> in code that's in a compiled file, if that code happened to be "hidden"
> from the compiler, such as hidden within a `quote`).

---
  If the macro is expanded just once, in compilation, then the object is
constructed just once, during compilation.  But in interpreted
execution, the macro is expanded each time the macro call runs, and this
means a new object is constructed each time.
---

I think this is pretty clear -- it's guarded by "if", but it doesn't
claim that compilation will always expand the macro.  So I think this
should be sufficient, and I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no