Subject: bug#4082: Printing error on HP Laserjet 6L

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 13:51:14 +0300

> From: Christoph Conrad <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 11:44:27 +0200
> Cc: 
> 
> some time ago i sent a bug message to "bug-gnu-emacs-gnu" for 23.0.94,
> see:
> 
> bug#3420: "23.0.94; Printing error on HP Laserjet 6L"
> 
> Summarized: Depending on the locale set (LANG) ps-print fails cause in
> the generated postscript output numbers have a decimal comma (e.g. as in
> germany) instead a decimal point.
> 
> I see no solution in Emacs 23.1 for that.

That bug ended with no one being able to reproduce the strange results
you see on your system:

    (format "%s" 1.1)

    => Emacs 22.2.1:    "1.1"
    => Emacs 23.0.94.1: "1.0"

This could not be reproduced on several GNU/Linux systems and on
Windows.

Andreas said:

    Looks like the setlocale call in emacs.c:fixup_locale is not working.

And eventually, you said:

    Maybe it is a very unusual and rare combination on my GNU/Linux system.
    I do not insist on progressing.

That's why nothing was done with that bug.

> The end user should not be busy with such questions. Emacs should print
> out of the box (aside from configuring which printer should be used).

Right, but please suggest a way to investigate this, given that no one
can reproduce the problem.