Subject: bug#40793: closed (Re: Documentation suggestion)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 17:50:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40793: Documentation suggestion

which was filed against the libtool package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40793: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40793
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: Documentation suggestion
From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 19:48:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thank you for your bug report! I have removed the warnings about
thread safety with 'dlopen' in libtool's documentation.

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354

Subject: Documentation suggestion
From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 13:15:30 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

libtool.texi contains the following:

"It was reported that GNU/Linux's glibc 2.0's 'dlopen' with 'RTLD_LAZY'
(that libltdl uses by default) is not thread-safe, but this problem is
supposed to be fixed in glibc 2.1.  On the other hand, 'RTLD_NOW' was
reported to introduce problems in multi-threaded applications on FreeBSD."

I suggest removing this material: glibc 2.1 was released over 20 years ago.
I have looked through both the glibc changelogs and git history to try to
ascertain whether in fact this bug was mentioned as being fixed, but I can
find nothing relevant. The same applies to the FreeBSD case.

Evidence on the positive side is that dlopen(3) states explicitly that the
function is thread safe, and POSIX defines it as such. Therefore it might
be reasonable to state that modern dlopen implementations should be threads
safe. Or it might not. (Does someone know more about this?) In the latter
case, the rest of the paragraph could be left as-is, which is to say,
reasonably conservative.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org