Subject: bug#40774: Error messages shouldn't be hidden when the user is idle

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 22:25:01 +0300

> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 19:10:36 +0000
> From: ndame <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> 
> > But that's exactly the problem I see with your proposed strategy:
> > when Emacs prints a message, it is never idle, by definition.
> 
> But the condition is not "when Emacs is idle", but "when the user
> is idle". So Emacs can do some processing, running some timers,
> printing messages while the user is idle in Emacs, right?

We are going in circles.

You want Emacs behave two different ways when it is about to show a
message, is that right?  So I'm asking how will Emacs determine, at
that point, whether "the user is idle".  The method Emacs uses to
determine when to run the next idle timer will not work, because when
Emacs is about to print a message, that method will return false,
i.e. tell that the user is not idle.