Subject: Re: bug#40773: newsticker documentation

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 00:18:15 -0400

On 2020-04-28 15:08, Ulf Jasper wrote:
> Am 22.04.2020 um 11:55 (-0400) schrieb Boruch Baum:
> > I just discovered the existence of `newsticker' bundled into emacs;
> > however, I see not even a cursory mention of it in the emacs manual. At
> > the very least, there should be a short stub entry in the emacs manual,
> > next to the index entry for
> >
> >    * Gnus::                A flexible mail and news reader.
>
> You should find newsticker documentation in its own manual:
>
>     * Newsticker: (newsticker).     A feed reader for Emacs.

That's great, but the point of my report is that there should be a
reference to it in the emacs manual, and that reference should be
alongside similar emacs packages (eg. gnus).

It's not intuitive to check outside of the emacs manual from inside
emacs. A user (ahem, me) discovers newsticker in emacs, and by habit
looks for it by instinctively typing C-h R. I can understand the
situation needs to be different for emacs-related packages that are not
bundled into emacs itself and aren't 'part of emacs', but for packages
that have become part of the default emacs distribution, the
documentation should be withing the emacs manual. IMO, that should be
the standard behavior for all similar packages.

Further, as a corollary, I suggest that packages bundled in the default
emacs distribution should NOT have info nodes in the emacs section of
the root info index, ie. no duplication. Either the emacs section of the
root info index should be restricted to non-default emacs packages, or
there shouldn't exist such a section at all, and the emacs manual should
have a section for external packages.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0