Subject: Re: bug#40762: UI screws up Ubuntu 18.04

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 18:33:24 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Robert Pearson <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 04:01:50 -0400
>>
>> No trouble downloading and installing. Then I started emacs and tried to go through the tutorial. The User
>> Interface is so outdated that it screwed up my keyboard for emacs and all other programs. The UI makes
>> emacs useless.
>
> Did you start Emacs in text mode?  Otherwise, I cannot understand how
> could it screw up your keyboard.
>
>> (I believe the problem with GNU emacs is curses and could be fixed by going to the 21st century for the UI.)
>
> Emacs should use ncurses for the text-mode frames, but the default is
> to start a GUI frame, where curses is not relevant at all.
>
> So I don't think I understand the nature of your problems.

More information was requested, but none was given within 16 weeks, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas