Subject: bug#40733: 28.0.50; Emacs locks up on paste (yank) of unicode characters

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 23:48:48 +0100

Will Bush <[email-masked]> writes:

> Configured using:
>  'configure
>  --prefix=/nix/store/2142cl219v49czkkrrddh3jy3415nax0-emacs-git-20200420.0
>  --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^

I know next to nothing about fonts, and I'm sure others will correct me,
but etc/NEWS has the following to say:

  ** 'configure' now warns about building with libXft support.
  libXft is unmaintained, and causes a number of problems with modern
  fonts including but not limited to crashes; support for it may be
  removed in a future version of Emacs.  Please consider using
  Cairo + HarfBuzz instead.

I don't know if it's related (and the 'C-u C-x =' output in your other
message shows the ftcrhb backend in use), but perhaps you can try
building --without-xft to see if it makes any difference.

-- 
Basil