Subject: Re: bug#40704: 28.0.50; Improve and speed up (Gnus) registry saving

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 20:42:21 -0700

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> > Any comments on the suggested changes?
>>
>> Not that it's up to me,
>
> I wonder who it's up to...

There's sort of a `with-gnus-bug-report' macro that we're working with
here, where if Lars (or in this case, Ted Zlatanov) doesn't respond
within a certain period of time, the commit automatically goes in.

>> but I'm all for putting in #1 and #3 as-is, and adjusting #2 to scale
>> with the number of `gnus-registry-max-entries', with the addition of a
>> hard ceiling.
>
> Too large values of `gnus-registry-max-entries' can be harmful
> (fragmentation of memory?), I wonder if this can potentially be the case
> here.

Well that's where the hard ceiling comes in, right?

> I'm also not sure if scaling is a good idea at all.  The value I chose
> will still make gc happen much less frequently even if your registry is
> huge.  So it's still a win.  If your value is too large, the final
> cleanup may take longer as necessary -- who has experience with this
> problem -- anybody?

Not me, let's hope for more respondents...