Subject: bug#40704: 28.0.50; Improve and speed up (Gnus) registry saving

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 01:26:39 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Any comments on the suggested changes?
>
> Not that it's up to me,

I wonder who it's up to...

> but I'm all for putting in #1 and #3 as-is, and adjusting #2 to scale
> with the number of `gnus-registry-max-entries', with the addition of a
> hard ceiling.

Too large values of `gnus-registry-max-entries' can be harmful
(fragmentation of memory?), I wonder if this can potentially be the case
here.

I'm also not sure if scaling is a good idea at all.  The value I chose
will still make gc happen much less frequently even if your registry is
huge.  So it's still a win.  If your value is too large, the final
cleanup may take longer as necessary -- who has experience with this
problem -- anybody?

Thanks,

Michael.