Subject: Re: [bug#40677] [PATCH 10/30] gnu: Add ffmpeg-jami.

From: Jan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 22:03:57 +0200

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 14:49:59 +0200
Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Do we need this particular commit? If so the version should be:
> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> (git-version "4.2.1" revision commit)
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> 
> you will find some examples in packages such as guile-webutils, or
> boost-sync.

Because of the strange bugs I get in Jami, I tried to be as close as
possible to the official Jami package. They use this particular commit
and if I remember correctly, applying the patches failed without it.

The patches add:

-Hardware acceleration to use GPU instead CPU to encode/decode video
whenever possible
-All codecs available (but nor really important, it will be ok with
h264 + vp8)
-REMB feedback (./ffmpeg/rtp_ext_abs_send_time.patch) to automatically
adapt the bitrate and avoid dirty video.

> This long list is a bit scary. Could inherit from the one of ffmpeg
> and add/remove only what's necessary? The default values should also
> be omitted.

I tried asking Jami devs how important are these flags, but never got
answer. I can ask again, but for now I must check one more thing
related to the strange bug I get.

> > +                  ;; Comes from
> > +                  ;;
> > "ring-project/daemon/contrib/src/pjproject/rules.mak".
> > +                  ;; WARNING: These amount for huge changes in
> > pjproject.  
> 
> That's only three patches here? You can maybe remove this comment.
> 
> Mathieu

Yes, right.

Jan Wielkiewicz