Subject: Re: bug#40676: 28.0.50; gnus locks when reading email

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:33:31 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:23:02 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> said:

    Lars> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> For instance, to make it very much like a normal network process, Emacs
    >> could even just output the DNS data as bytes in the process buffer.  (We
    >> have code to parse DNS protocol data in dns.el already.)

    Lars> Actually, that'd make no sense, because we don't have access to the raw
    Lars> DNS packages on the C side.

    Lars> So the process could just output the result as ASCII, perhaps.  That is,
    Lars> a call to

    Lars> (make-network-process :lookup-address "gnu.org")

    Lars> would result in

    Lars> 209.51.188.148^@2001:470:142:3::a^@

    Lars> or something in the buffer.  Or perhaps

    Lars> [email-masked]^@ipv6-address^@2001:470:142:3::a^@

    Lars> or however we want to do this.

You donʼt like `network-lookup-address-info'? Just asynchifying that
should be enough.

Robert