Subject: Re: bug#40676: 28.0.50; gnus locks when reading email

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:23:02 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> For instance, to make it very much like a normal network process, Emacs
> could even just output the DNS data as bytes in the process buffer.  (We
> have code to parse DNS protocol data in dns.el already.)

Actually, that'd make no sense, because we don't have access to the raw
DNS packages on the C side.

So the process could just output the result as ASCII, perhaps.  That is,
a call to

(make-network-process :lookup-address "gnu.org")

would result in

209.51.188.148^@2001:470:142:3::a^@

or something in the buffer.  Or perhaps

[email-masked]^@ipv6-address^@2001:470:142:3::a^@

or however we want to do this.

This all reminds me of a not-very-related issue: Emacs needs support for
DNS-over-HTTPS/TLS, I guess.  Emacs shouldn't have weaker network
security than web browsers.

DoH is trivial to implement, but we do want to be efficient, which may
make it somewhat of a bigger project.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no