Subject: bug#40676: 28.0.50; gnus locks when reading email

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 15:52:34 +0200

"Philip K." <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As it stands, librgravatar shouldn't be the default gravatar provider.
>
> I'm somewhat split on this. On the one hand, the reason I implemented
> libravatar support is to increase it's audience and make more people
> aware if it's existence, as a free and federated alternative to
> Gravatar.
>
> On the other hand, there is a privacy issue in the system, as explained
> by [0]. The problem basically is that if I send you an email and set up
> a libravatar server, by querying my server, I can know if you opened my
> message or not. I can imagine spammers being very interested in
> something like this.

Indeed -- it makes libravatar a much worse interface than the central
Gravatar service (where you just have to trust the Gravatar people
somewhat, instead of the entire internet).

So that's another reason not to make libravatar the default provider.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no