Subject: Re: bug#40676: 28.0.50; gnus locks when reading email

From: "Philip K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 10:15:49 +0200

That was part of the rationale behind #40355, but the best way I see to
fix this would be to implement asynchronous DNS, since a libravatar
lookup has two phases (DNS lookup + image retrieval), compared to
Gravatar's single request.

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> My crystal ball says you have one or more of the gnus-gravatar
>> variables enabled, and you have a slow DNS, in which case customizing
>> 'gravatar-service' to something other than 'libravatar will help.
>
> Oh, deer.  I just tried
>
>   (setq gnus-treat-from-gravatar 'head)
>
> and the behaviour in Gnus is totally unacceptable -- it stops and thinks
> for a second after rendering the header, and then renders the body of
> the message.
>
> This is a regression -- the new libavatar code obviously can't work this
> way.  If it's taking a lot of time, it has to run asynchronously after
> the rest of the article has finished rendering.

-- 
	Philip K.