Subject: Re: bug#40671: [DOC] modify literal objects

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 05:18:13 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> All good points. The simplest fix is to not mention symbol bindings
> here, as they're a complicated topic.

Yes, agreed.

> >> +  When the same value appears multiple times in a program, the Lisp
> >> +interpreter might save time or space by reusing existing values or
> >> +their components.  For example, @code{(eq "abc" "abc")} returns
> >
> > I think we call "values" what evaluation of expressions yields, so
> > values don't appear in a program (to be read).
>
> They can if one feeds the values into 'eval', which runs part of a
> program. And 'read' can read programs. So I'm not sure I get the
> distinction.

Now I get how you meant this.  I read the sentence more with a written
program and syntax in mind.

Michael.