Subject: 28.0.50; Regression: vc-print-log doesn't work with TRAMP because vc-git isn't initialized

From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 13:07:19 -0700

Hi. I'm using a bleeding-edge emacs build from git. Today.

The problem:

1. emacs -Q

2. C-x C-f /ssh:host:file

   Open any file that lives in a git repo on a remote server

3. C-x v l

   I expect to see the git log for this file, but I get an error: "File
   is not under version control". The modeline doesn't show that emacs
   recognized this as a git file. Also, the only "vc-git-..." function
   that emacs knows about at this point is vc-git-registered. Clearly
   something was supposed to initialize vc-git but that didn't happen.
   As a workaround I CAN do:

4. C-x v L

   This does work to show me the git history of this whole project. This
   loaded vc-git, so I can now go back to the earlier buffer, and C-x v
   l works now

Thanks!