Subject: bug#40670: closed (Re: bug#40670: 28.0.50; Regression: vc-print-log doesn't work with TRAMP because vc-git isn't initialized)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 23:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40670: 28.0.50; Regression: vc-print-log doesn't work with TRAMP because vc-git isn't initialized

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40670: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40670
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40670: 28.0.50; Regression: vc-print-log doesn't work with TRAMP because vc-git isn't initialized
From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 16:28:44 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> It was a little bit tricky to understand, but I believe I've fixed it
> now with commit f212daf0a96999b8c1e63217c22a86d6e1671687. Could you,
> pls, check?

It works now. Thanks you very much!! I'm closing the bug.

Subject: 28.0.50; Regression: vc-print-log doesn't work with TRAMP because vc-git isn't initialized
From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 13:07:19 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi. I'm using a bleeding-edge emacs build from git. Today.

The problem:

1. emacs -Q

2. C-x C-f /ssh:host:file

   Open any file that lives in a git repo on a remote server

3. C-x v l

   I expect to see the git log for this file, but I get an error: "File
   is not under version control". The modeline doesn't show that emacs
   recognized this as a git file. Also, the only "vc-git-..." function
   that emacs knows about at this point is vc-git-registered. Clearly
   something was supposed to initialize vc-git but that didn't happen.
   As a workaround I CAN do:

4. C-x v L

   This does work to show me the git history of this whole project. This
   loaded vc-git, so I can now go back to the earlier buffer, and C-x v
   l works now

Thanks!