Subject: bug#40652: #36924 way solves the problem for me

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 09:32:18 +0200

R Veera Kumar <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The solution in bug #36924 solved the problem in my system.
>
> Remove /var/lib/gdm and make a empty one instead.
>
> Thanks Rene!
>
> Regards,
> Veera

I don't know if it's related, but recently I had GDM crashes at boot
after reconfiguring a system using gdm-service-type (generation n) to
make it use slim-service-type instead (generation n+1), and then
reconfiguring to gdm-service-type again (generation n+2).

The problem was that the 'gdm' user id number (or group id number) was
not the same in generations n and n+2, which prevented GDM from
accessing the '/var/lib/gdm' directory.

Changing the permissions with "chown -R gdm.gdm /var/lib/gdm" or
deleting '/var/lib/gdm' to force the creation of a new one with correct
permissions allowed GDM to work correctly again.