Subject: Re: ‘scandir*’ test failure

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 13:19:30 -0700

On 2020-04-18, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> test-name: scandir*, properties
>> location: /build/guix-YPdZIs/guix-1.1.0/tests/syscalls.scm:257
>> source:
...
> Looking at this test, the only way ‘every’ could return #f is (1) if
> ‘lstat’ returns a different inode number, or (2) if ‘lstat’ returns a
> different file type than the one for ‘scandir*’.

My debian package builds are done using a overlay fs(with tmpfs on top,
and ext4 below), which might explain inode discrepancies... this sort of
thing is not uncommon in Debian package building environments.

If that's indeed triggering the issue, maybe it needs some sort of
workaround or a way to detect if it should skip the test?

> Unfortunately it’s hard to tell more without debugging interactively on
> the machine, adding ‘pk’ calls here and there to see.
>
> Can you reproduce this test failure in a simpler environment when
> interactive debugging is possible?

Yeah, I could build in a one-off chroot or virtual machine using a
"normal" filesystem.

live well,
  vagrant