Subject: bug#40641: Building from git breaks when /bin/sh isn't bash

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 11:02:54 +0200

Thank you for getting back to the bug.  I am in the same situation in
that I use Guix System now. :D

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 09:20:28AM +0900, [email-masked] wrote:
> so you could be able to sanity
> check with something like
> 
>     $ guix shell -C dash guix make <etc>
>     $ ln -s $(command -v dash) /bin/sh
>     $ ./configure --localstatedir && make

I had done exactly this.

guix shell --container --network dash git pkg-config gnutls guile guile-avahi guile-gcrypt guile-json guile-lib guile-sqlite3 guile-zlib guile-lzlib guile-zstd guile-ssh guile-git autoconf automake gettext texinfo graphviz help2man po4a findutils sed coreutils tar xz m4 diffutils grep gcc-toolchain sqlite libgcrypt gawk make glibc-locales -- dash

Many tests fail because of the container though, so I’m not sure how
big the effect is.  At least tests/guix-package.sh still use type -P
which is not POSIX, but I don’t think it should be changed nor should
there be a check if $SHELL can do what we need, because we don’t know
which bash features we need.

Regards,
Florian