Subject: Re: bug#40639: 26.3; Child frame border color not rendered when child frame has no minibuffer

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 10:51:45 +0200

tags 40639 fixed
close 40639 28.1
quit

 > Digging into this a bit further I found that
 > calling gui_consider_frame_title for child frames fixes it.

Hopefully fixed now on master by calling gui_consider_frame_title for
child frames too.

IMHO this is a bug when refreshing the face cache.  We postpone that for
a new frame until we call gui_consider_frame_title for that frame.
Until then, any earlier attempts to free realized faces are inhibited by
inhibit_free_realized_faces.  It's easy to see the effect with Emacs'
native tooltip frames by evaluating with emacs -Q

(progn
   (setq x-gtk-use-system-tooltips nil)
   (set-face-background 'internal-border "red"))

and moving the mouse to some text on the mode line.  The red border will
show up only after I clicked at least once into the containing frame.

If the bug affects the internal border only, it's minor only.  I don't
know if it may affect more important faces as well.

Closing this bug, martin