Subject: Re: bug#40628: Optimize admin/nt dependency computation

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 10:23:17 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> While checking the patch I suggested in
>>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/40003#11, I noticed the dependency extraction
>>> seemed pretty slow.  With the patch attached below it's much faster
>>> (1m20.437s to 0m3.695s according to 'time ./build-dep-zips.py -l').
>
> [...]
>
>> This was four months ago, but the patch was apparently not applied?
>
> I don't have any Windows machines -- has anybody given this patch a test
> to see whether it introduces any problems?

I tested it myself, and it brought the generation time down from ~3
minutes to about 20 seconds, so I've applied the patch.  I don't see any
difference in the results, but then again, if failed with this both
before and after the change:

subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command 'wget -a ../download.log -O ../emacs-src-cache/mingw-w64-libtiff-4.3.0-6.src.tar.gz https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/files/REPOS/MINGW/Sources/mingw-w64-libtiff-4.3.0-6.src.tar.gz/download' returned non-zero exit status 8.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no