Subject: bug#4061 closed by Karl Fogel <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#4061: 23.1.50; C-x C-v and saveplace)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 16:45:04 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4061: 23.1.50; C-x C-v and saveplace

It has been closed by Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Karl Fogel <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4061: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4061
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#4061: 23.1.50; C-x C-v and saveplace
From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Leo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:39:02 -0400

Okay, this is fixed now:

  $ cat log-message.txt
  * lisp/files.el (find-alternate-file): Run `kill-buffer-hook' manually
    before killing the old buffer, since by the time `kill-buffer' is
    run so many buffer variables have been set to nil that it may not
    behave as expected.  (Bug#4061)
  $ cvs ci -F log-message.txt files.el ChangeLog
  /sources/emacs/emacs/lisp/files.el,v  <--  files.el
  new revision: 1.1078; previous revision: 1.1077
  /sources/emacs/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog,v  <--  ChangeLog
  new revision: 1.16100; previous revision: 1.16099
  Mailing notification to [email-masked]... sent.
  $ 

Leo, please test if you get a chance and let us know if you run into any
problems.

Notes on closing:

I'm closing this report now by sending this mail to 4061-done@, as
documented on http://debbugs.gnu.org/Developer#closing.  I'm
not positive that's the Right Way to do it, but since much of the
documentation is still written in terms of Debian GNU/Linux instead of
Emacs, and http://debbugs.gnu.org/server-control#fixed
doesn't clarify either (for example, what should the "version" be?  The
version the bug was reported against, or the version the fix is likely
to be be released in?), this is as good a guess as any.  If someone
knows the Right Way, please tell me, or better yet, document it where
developers are likely to find it.

-Karl

Subject: 23.1.50; C-x C-v and saveplace
From: Leo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 04:29:21 +0100

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

With saveplace enabled, it will be nice if place (point) can survive C-x
C-v. At the moment, C-x C-v will move the point to a 'random' place.

Leo