Subject: Re: bug#40599: 1.1.0rc2 i686 gui install unreadable

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 17:42:12 +0200

Hi Niels & Florian,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 03:06:25PM +0200, Niels Felsted wrote:
>> And testing Florians suggestions:
>> 
>> setting 'nomodeset' kernel parameter -> screen displays fine
>> 
>> setting 'modprobe.blacklist=i915' kernel parameter -> screen displays fine
>> 
>> As mentioned before, I did manage to install guix via tty3 (without
>> setting any kernel parameters), and it boots up fine with
>> gdm3/xfce4. So it is only the initial boot from the install iso that's
>> distorted.
>
> Thank you for the testing!  Xorg working confirms that uvesafb really
> is the source of the problem.  This is good to know.  I have hope that
> this issue is fixed by commit 0ad60b2a89d6d387236466e0bcdd61ac489fca37
> that loads uvesafb only if it cannot already detect a frame buffer
> device.  I do not have a downloadable image for confirming the fix
> though.

Niels, here’s a new ISO image built from commit
bd4c345ef7ddf3542662fe0872b06393b414a3fc, which includes Florian’s fix.

  https://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/1.1.0rc2.5/

Could you simply boot that image, without any additional kernel
arguments, and confirm that the installer now displays correctly?  (You
don’t need to run the actual install.)

Thanks in advance,
Ludo’.